Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Flash Cards

Little Jimmy is on a roll learning new things. We read the same books over and over and over, and his recognition of pictures, colors, letters and numbers is growing by the day. I wanted to go out and buy him some flash cards so we could really start working on the alphabet, colors and the numbers 1-10. Then, I came up with an idea to make my own.

While grocery shopping at HEB, I picked up some large notecards for $1. When I got home, I wrote a letter (capitalized and lowercase) on one side and the picture and word to correspond on the opposite side. I printed the pictures out, seeing as I'm a terrible artist. Then, I went on to numbers. On one side of the card I have the number and on the back I have simple shapes to correspond to the amount. Lastly, I did colors.

I ran out to Hobby Lobby with my mom this morning and we bought a roll of clear laminating sheet. This cost only $4. One roll was enough to cover the cards front and back.

Total cost: $5

Not only was this a cheap way to create flash cards for the boys, but I found out we can write on them with dry erase markers! Also, if some get lost, we can easily make new ones and I won't be frustrated having spent so much on the cards. Here's hoping they are good tools for the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment