Last night, Jimmy and I discovered we are in BIG trouble, and it has to do with the baby.
I'm sure many of you are thinking, "Oh, they are just frightened about being new parents. Everyone feels this way." Sorry to let you down, but wrong-o. We aren't frightened (yet) about becoming parents in the upcoming weeks. Instead, we found out our current child may be the bigger problem when it comes to bringing baby home.
As previously discussed, Brinkley suffers from what we call the "paws complex." She is constantly putting her paws all over us and gives us big puppy eyes as if to tell us she is incredibly neglected. Last night, it hit me why she does that. All throughout the stages where she was still small enough to be held, everyone held her. She was a little fur ball of energy and love, so it was really difficult to not wrap her up in your arms. Well, she remembers the feeling and she misses it.
During one of her "paws" episodes last night, I looked at Jimmy and said, "Just pick the dog up and put her in your lap! That's what she really wants!" I was half joking when I said it, but Jimmy scooped her up in his lap and held her like a baby. And you know what? That little booger fell asleep. She nudged her head right in his arm and as I was petting her belly her eyelids grew heavy and she fell asleep. We couldn't believe our eyes. I still can't believe it. At least 60 pounds of yellow lab nestled in Jimmy's arms as if it were the way things went down every night at bedtime. And that, right then and there, is when we both looked at each other and knew that we would have ourselves quite the problem when little Jimmy arrives. Brinkley is not going to be the understanding protector we at first thought she would be. Oh no. She is going to be the jealous older child who feels neglected and resents the baby for being held constantly. And to to think, we were naive enough to think we wouldn't have any jealousy issues until baby #2 arrives someday.
Ahhh, God definitely has a personality.
On a side note, I would like to extend a HUGE thank-you to my editor, Chris, for bringing me in little containers of ice cream to the office. As the recent dad of twins, he knows how important it is to please pregnant woman you have to surround yourself with daily. I didn't even let him get it to the office refrigerator before I was opening a container of chocolate and downing it - at 10 in the morning. Delicious! Thanks again, Chris!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment