I'll never forget what I was doing two years ago today, because every second of that day led to the preparation of meeting little Jimmy.
When we arrived at the doctor's office for my weekly check up, I was having full blown contractions, but since it was my first baby, I didn't even know that's what they were. We were told to go home, rest, and prepare because most likely we'd be heading to the hospital later in the day to prepare for delivery. Since his arrival was four weeks prior to his due date, we weren't ready at all. We rushed to Babies R Us to get the last minute essentials (and probably spent way too much, because at that time, I thought everything was essential). When we got home, we had to wash all the baby clothes and sheets, prepare the bassinet, put together the swing (which arrived that day), clean the house and sterilize all the bottles. There was absolutely no time to rest. In between all that, we took a few walks to see if we could get the contractions moving a bit more, but actually through the rush of everything I didn't progress much at all.
That evening, the contractions were a bit more intense and Jimmy suggested dinner at Freebirds. While ordering, I was really beginning to have labor pains and I think I scared everyone in the place. I ate as much as I could and then we scurried over to the hospital, more excited than ever. I was admitted, hooked up and started my epidural. Once all that happened, it was a long night, and we wouldn't get to meet our little guy until the next morning.
It's really crazy how quick two years go by, but how vividly the events of the days leading up to your child's birth stick with you. I was, up until that point, never more excited and nervous at the same time. My world was changing in a big way, and God was glorified through the blessing of our first little boy.
And here I am. Two years later, wrapping presents and getting ready to celebrate his second birthday. I can hear him upstairs in his crib talking to his stuffed animals. His anticipation of his big day tomorrow is starting to grow because he's excited to make cupcakes and blow out his candles. Little does he know there's a few more surprises up our sleeves for his second birthday. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment