Although we weren't treated to a big Thanksgiving meal for a week, we did have the pleasure of visiting with different friends, some of whom we hadn't seen in quite some time, every day leading up to Thanksgiving and even a few days after. My heart was so full of joy when we waved goodbye to our last set of visitors I wanted to cry. I was thankful for their presence in our lives. I was thankful for all the extra hugs and kisses my kids got. I was thankful for those who were kind enough to bring gifts for the boys. I was thankful for the laughter and memories. I was thankful for how worn out my kids were by the end of it all.
All the get togethers did have me a little worried about Thanksgiving, though. I wasn't sure my kids, who seem to operate on Energizer batteries when awake, would be able to keep their eyes open Thanksgiving day. I anticipated tantrums. Crying. All the things that were totally out of the ordinary for my kids. As a parent you learn to do this on holidays or get togethers, because you want to be prepared for the worst, but you always pray for the best.
I guess God heard my prayers.
I don't think I've had a Thanksgiving so filled with laughter in my life. My family and Jimmy's (minus my brother, Daniel, and Jimmy's dad, Jim) were all there. My boys were the hit of the dinner, feasting on anything and everything they could get their fingers on. Jackson ate so much he fell into a deep food coma at the table; eyes were open but he wasn't registering much. At one point he grabbed his belly and just started laughing really hard. At nothing. This spurred the entire table to laugh, which prompted little Jimmy to "one up" his brother and make us laugh even harder. He did this with his over the top animations while eating chocolate cream pie, which he helped make hours earlier.
There were no tantrums.
There was no crying.
Everything was picture perfect and I think we all really needed it to turn out that way.
I am so thankful for the way the week shaped up as well as the turnout on Thanksgiving. God has blessed our family in a big way and I am so excited to see what the future brings us.
No comments:
Post a Comment