Friday, September 9, 2011

Double Whammy

Work, for the time being, can wait. It's been a big day and if I don't sit down and get it on (virtual) paper, I probably won't find the time to do it later...then a new event will happen...and today will get lost in time (blog-wise.)

A few things to update you on before we delve into today:

1. I tried something new in the kitchen! We went all country one night and had BBQ ribs, slow cooked to perfection in the crock pot. I used Stubbs BBQ sauce and they were fall-off-the-bone good. The ribs were accompanied by corn on the cob and baked beans. I would call the dinner a success!

2. This picture is a few weeks old, but I just love it. My sweet, sweet Jackson fell asleep at his first high school football game. How you see him is exactly how he fell asleep, sitting up in Mimzie's (Grandma Joyce) lap.

Alrighty. Now for today.

I did it.

I survived.

There have only been two times I have verbalized that I may indeed be Supermom. Today was one of them. The other was when I in full blown labor with Jackson - and on no drugs.

Since the boys are 53 weeks apart, their 18 month and 6 month check ups fell during the same month. "Hallelujah!" I thought. "Only one trip to the doctor!"

When we arrived, the waiting room was dead. To say it was a blessing would be a huge understatement. I was feeling positive and Jimmy had not yet made the association where we were so he was still all smiles. When we were called back, Jimmy began to get a little nervous. These walls are familiar. This hallway is familiar. Those scrubs are familiar. And, a-ha! - this room is familiar.

Once I pulled the stroller into our designated room, Jimmy got really nervous. Like freak out nervous. I took Jackson out first and undressed him, hoping the diversion would make Jimmy think the appointment wasn't for him. Wrong - o. I got Jackson undressed and while the nurse measured his head and length, Jimmy thrashed furiously in the stroller. His face was beat red and he screamed desperate pleas to go "bye bye."

The nurse took Jackson from me and I held Jimmy close to me as I took off his clothes. We got Jimmy measured (not without some serious opposition on his part) and walked the boys down to the scale. Surprisingly, this was a much better experience. Other kiddos were in the hall waiting to be weighed, so Jimmy had to show off his big boy skills. The moment we went back into the room he lost it all over again. You would think this little episode would frazzle me, but surprisingly, I never lost my cool. I felt bad for Jimmy and did all I could to reassure him he was safe. Jackson was cool as a cucumber; totally normal for Jackson. When the doctor came in, Jimmy continued to scream, while Jackson ooh'ed and ahh'ed and giggled. Complete opposite reactions.

I held Jimmy in my lap during his shot but he kicked the nurse in the middle of it and broke the needle right in half. Man, that kid is strong! Jackson held my hand and focused on me during his shots (all three!) and only cried on the last one. Jimmy found so much relief in getting re-dressed and back in the stroller that he started laughing. Finally! Sweet relief! Time to leave!

As we walked the hallway towards the exit, Jimmy gave everyone who passed a friendly "hi!" and a warm smile. Jackson calmed down from his shots and started smiling at those who passed us by as well.

One mother heard us struggling with Jimmy and told me I deserved a coffee after that fiasco. I told her she was dead on, and a Pumpkin Spice Latte was already calling my name.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be taking both boys to the doctor for shots, but it definitely wasn't a walk in the park. Trying to calm down one kid while holding the other to keep him from rolling off the table would have looked pretty funny to anyone watching. All I could think in those moments was that it wouldn't be like this forever. Soon, they will only go to the doctor when they're sick. They won't need routine shots and they won't have growth charts anymore. One day, they won't even be in a pediatrician's office.

And I honestly think that mindset is what got me through without a Mommy meltdown. It's only like this for awhile. The tears are temporary. Yes, I was a little embarrassed by his behavior, but it wasn't like he was throwing a fit in the mall over a toy he couldn't have. He was scared. No, terrified. He longed for comfort and safety. How could I ever get mad or frazzled over that?

When we got home, I kissed all of the boo-boos the boys had on their legs. We took off the band-aids and had a little Tylenol to ease any pain. I was able to hug them both and wrap them in my arms on the couch. At that moment, I could cure anything.

So, while I'm still able to make a boo-boo all better with just a kiss, I plan to. Usually, I get some kisses in return. :)

Oh! I'm sure you want to know the stats! Here they are:

Jimmy measured 35 inches (5 inches taller than he was at 15 months - the doctor was shocked at the growth spurt!) and 28 pounds 1.2 ounces. On the growth chart, Jimmy was averaging the size of a typical 3-year old.

Jackson measured 28 inches and 21 pounds 8 ounces. On the growth chart, Jackson was measuring the size of a typical 9 month old. He's bigger than Jimmy was at 6 months, so I'm interested to see if he continues this trend.

For two premature babies, I sure lucked out. They are healthy, active and doing great!!! Thanks to the wonderful doctors and nurses at Texas Children's Pediatrics who are always encouraging me and who are so loving with my two precious angels. Thanks for not kicking us out today, too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment