Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Letter to My Kids - For the Future

Dear Jackson and Jimmy,

Right now, you're way too young to understand anything I tell you about growing up. Let's not forget, every day I politely, sweetly ask you to stay just as innocent and small as you are, but when I go to bed and wake up the next morning, you're both bigger and a little more mischievous.

I love you both so very much. There are days when I find my patience quickly unraveling when I'm chasing after Jimmy, who loves to run, and cleaning up massive amounts of drool from Jackson, who loves to chew everything; but not a single day goes by where I don't fall more and more in love with you both. And sadly enough, there are so many memories the three of us have shared already that you won't remember; Jimmy feeding Jackson his bottle on the couch for the first time, snuggling under the blankets, playing with Buzz and Woody, and all the giggles that you both can't contain when I tickle your bellies.

One day, you'll be teenagers. You'll be out driving the streets, facing peer pressure, and facing tough decisions. Here's a few suggestions - or pleas - from Mommy:

1. Don't drink and drive. EVER. You shouldn't be drinking until you're 21 to begin with, but if for some reason you have slipped into temptation, do not under ANY circumstances get in a vehicle and drive drunk. Don't get in a car with someone who has been drinking, either. Call me or Dad. We'll be there in a heartbeat.

2. Remember that cars aren't toys. If you are blessed enough to get a car on your 16th birthday, remember that it's to be used as a tool for transportation - to take you to school, work, practice, to run errands for your wonderful parents...you get the point. Don't race in your car. Don't pile a bunch of loud teenagers into your car. Don't treat your car with disrespect. It's not a toy.

3. Peer pressure is terrible. It will follow you around your whole life. We are doing our best to raise you so your sole focus is God; all of your decisions should be made with Christ in mind. And you know what? So what if you say "no" to a group of friends because they are pressuring you into doing something you don't want to do. For a blink of an eye you may not be cool to them, but for the rest of your life you'll sure be cool to your Dad and me.

4. Drugs. Never. Ever. Ever. Ever. Seriously. Never.

5. Try new things! Right now, everyone says you're both built like football players. Try lots and lots of things to find what your passionate about. God will reveal in you both the specific talents He has blessed you with. Don't ever think your Dad and I will be disappointed if you aren't athletes, don't attend the University of Oklahoma or don't like the things we like. As long as you are true to yourself while following and serving God, we'll be proud.

6. Stick up for each other. Support each other. Love each other. Be best friends forever.

7. When you turn 18, I really, really, really encourage you to leave the house and go to college. There's something about college that opens your eyes and mind in a way you will never think possible. Living on your own will teach you so much about responsibility and accountability. Although we'll be helping pack your bags when you leave for college, please know the door at home is always open and you're always welcome for a home cooked meal (which I'll have mastered by then), a good night's rest, and all the comforts of home.

I love you both so much and am having a blast being your Mom. It really isn't fair to Dad that I get to spend all day with you both, watching you grow and learn. I pray over you both every day and every night. Follow your dreams and always reach for the stars.

Love,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment