Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Conversations with Kids

I'm almost positive my kids think I'm out of my mind.

I will openly admit there are a few things about babies and toddlers that I just have trouble with. One, in particular, is how I should speak to them.

I've never been a fan of baby talk. When people did the "goo-goo-ga-ga" thing I always cringed. And with my own kids, I just can't seem to do it. I've tried. I thought it might be cute or make them laugh, but when I speak in baby gibberish they just stare at me. So, I figured it wasn't my thing. Instead, I've opted to speak to my children like adults - and for this reason, I'm convinced they think I'm crazy.

When the stock market crashed a few weeks back, I had the news on from early in the morning until Jimmy got home from work. My fingers typed fast and furious as I was racking my mind for creative strategies to keep our company afloat. All the while, I was telling my kids what I thought about our government, our politicians, the economy, certain newscasters and the like. Jimmy caught a few key words in there, like "go" and "stop" and "bad." But, for the most part, he looked puzzled...as he should, because - hello! - he's only 17 months old.

I've also dished about entertainment gossip to them (Beyonce is pregnant!) and even shed a few tears about personal problems. And no matter how much I talk or what I say, their blue eyes always look back at me with a sparkle that tells me no matter how much I babble on they still love me. Crazy, silly Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment