Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pain in the butt - literally

Coming home from my doctor's appointment today I thought there would be no better title for my blog post today than "Pain the butt - literally." It's been weeks of frustration, fear, and anxiety, but I'm starting to find a little humor in it all.

And honestly, my mood has lightened quite a bit after I got to see my little Jackson today. Angie, my favorite ultrasound tech, performed a lengthy ultrasound to check every nook and cranny to make sure we had a healthy baby boy on our hands. We were shocked to find that he's weighing in at 4 pounds 2 ounces, his head is measuring in at 33 weeks (I'm only 30 weeks 4 days), and his waist is measuring at 32 weeks. He's in the 80th percentile of babies his age. God has worked quite a wonder on this little boy, getting him big and strong while I undergo some pretty painful experiences. My favorite part was when we clicked over to 3-D and I could see his little chin, the hair on his head, and his cute puckered lips. It's incredible how much he resembles his big brother, all the way down to the way he pulls his ears and sucks his thumb. Jimmy did the exact same thing in my belly. My heart felt a great sense of relief when I saw how healthy and content he was in there, despite being very, very low.

I then went into the exam room where I received another round of progesterone shots. I had another fFN test and cervix check. The good news is - I'm still dilated to 1 cm. However, all it will take is another round of heavy contractions to push that right along.

I explained to my doctor that I've been battling with the insurance agency over approving my home monitoring system. Aetna requires I see a specialist before they will even think of approving the monitoring system, but they caution that they still don't have to approve it even if I see one. So, we discussed my options (my mind was already made up, though). With the ridiculous cost of healthcare, prescriptions, the hospital stay, and all these shots, financially it's just smarter if I turn in the home monitoring system and pass on seeing a specialist. I'm at the point where no one knows my body better than me, and I know if I'm having contractions or not. If they are painful and close - go to the hospital. If they are Braxton Hicks - stay home, hydrate and rest. Done deal.

After that discussion, my doctor figured it would be best to start steroid shots to get Jackson's lungs to develop as fast as possible. At the rate he's growing and considering how low he already is, we are predicting an early baby for sure. In order to provide him the best possible chance at surviving without a NICU, we have to get his lungs as strong and developed as possible. That's where the steroid shots come in. I got one in my rear today and get another round tomorrow. Holy painful. Literally, both cheeks today got it today - one with steroid and one with progesterone. While I sit here, I can't help but laugh about how painful and difficult bed rest now is. While they are concerned about pumping fluids in me all day, they warn against getting up too much. Hello, are you aware what constant water drinking while in the third trimester does to a woman? I've been up and down so much just going to the restroom alone that I'm sure that little trip will be enough to put me into labor eventually! And now, let's add to the whole situation by putting my entire rear end through the gauntlet of thicker-than-imaginable serum that will leave me sore for days. Jackson, however, is definitely worth every bit of this.

I always thought little Jimmy was my dramatic child, throwing larger than life temper tantrums at such a young age and flirting with everyone he meets. But, it appears as if his brother has him beat. This pregnancy has been the most dramatic emotional roller coaster I've experienced to date. I'm interested to see what Jackson turns out like. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment