Monday, January 3, 2011

The Big Scare

Baby Ethan and I had quite the scare on New Year's Day. At about 5:00 in the evening, while sitting on the couch, I began getting really strong, painful contractions. The second time around in pregnancy makes things somewhat easier, because I'm able to distinguish painful from uncomfortable (Braxton Hicks). I've had my share of Braxton Hicks these past few weeks and I know it's just a natural way to prepare for the big day. But Saturday, these weren't normal. They increased with intensity and were coming quite often. I didn't want to alarm Jimmy, so I told him I was going to take a shower to try and naturally relax my body and stop the contractions from coming, but the moment I stood up they came stronger and faster.

Three hours later the contractions finally let up, but my body felt as though it had gone through all the stresses of actual delivery. I was wiped and had no energy. A lingering pain in my lower right side stayed with me through Sunday and I was barely able to hold, let alone care for, little Jimmy. It was frightening and eye-opening at the same time, as I came to the realization that working full time, entering my third trimester and taking care of a 10 month old is too much for me to handle. Somewhere, somehow, I have to find a way to slow it all down, but I'm not quite sure how. I've asked God for His guidance and care during these last few months and I welcome the peace he has set upon my heart.

In other news, can you believe it's 2011? Where did 2010 go? I got teary eyed as the hours wound down and 2011 crept closer because we would no longer be the family of three in this new year, we would be the Frasers - family of four.

We spent New Year's Eve with wonderful friends at the Strickland's and little Jimmy even worked up enough energy to join in the fun for a few hours. He loved their new puppy and meeting new people. He also got to see fireworks for the first time! Around 10 p.m. he had enough so I took him over my parents' house, who were generous enough to let him sleep there until we had ushered in the new year. Jimmy's sleep was disrupted by fireworks at one point and then we picked him up around 1:30 a.m. and woke him again, but all in all, he was a real trooper that night. He even slept until noon on Saturday!

It's a little bit hard for me to hit all of these big holidays so quickly: first Christmas, first New Year's, and then, before we know it, his first birthday. The time is flying. No, seriously, it's flying by. He's become such a little individual over the past few weeks and introduces us to new faces, attitudes and sounds every day. He's so much like his dad and so much like me I wonder how such strong personalities can mesh so well in such a youngster. We are just two short months from crossing the threshold of him no longer being considered a baby, and as much as I love some of the newfound independence that comes along with growing up, I ache at how quickly the stages come and go. Yes, he still needs me. And yes, it's still so early in his life. But you have no idea until you experience it yourself just how quickly the growing of your beloved child goes by. You blink and he's walking. Blink again, and he's on his first date. And I know that Ethan will speed this process up even more as we scurry about after two little ones. Words cannot express the joy I have in being a mom and I'm so thankful for another year of ups, downs and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment