Thursday, January 6, 2011

About Me: 2011

I decided this blog was going to be about me and the type of person I am at this point in my life. It may seem a little selfish, but as time passes by, I change and adapt with the situations at hand. For instance, two years ago I said I wanted to wait at least three years before having kids, then I got pregnant. While in the hospital after giving birth to Jimmy, I said I would definitely wait to have another one, and here we are a year later, about to have our second. So, here's a little about me in 2011!

  • I'm a visual learner.
  • If you need something done, I would prefer you are very straightforward about it. Tell me exactly what you need, when you need it, and how it should be done. I don't want to guess; I just don't have the luxury of time to play guessing games anymore.
  • I love my job, despite the many stresses it brings. For those of you who don't know what I do, here's a little synopsis: I own a company with my dad, called Digital Texas. Back in 1996 he started Woodlands Online and developed software for community websites. My mom worked her tail off with him to build an audience. My mom excelled at customer service and my dad wrote the programs. Now, we have expanded to all of Texas. I co-own the company that manages the Houston sites. Right now, I'm the Communications Director and handle all marketing for our 65 community sites but while we are in the initial growth stages, I'm acting editor for at least nine different sites. This means on a daily basis I am responsible for making sure news is fresh and content is populated. I also am the liaison for our company and KHOU, working with the major media company in our partnership to bring the best local information to each of the Houston communities. So, for all of you who think working from home and for my dad isn't a job, think again.
  • I am not a good cook. I really just can't seem to master that skill.
  • I'm frugal. REALLY frugal. Jimmy calls me the "electricity Nazi" because I unplug everything that isn't currently in use. I also turn off lights all the time. All in the name of saving money.
  • I haven't bought new clothes for myself, besides maternity clothes, in a really long time. I still have outfits from high school - and gasp - 8th grade.
  • I love to wear Jimmy's boxers and T-shirts to bed. There's nothing more comfortable.
  • I don't wear makeup, except for mascara. Sorry girls, I don't represent well in this category because I just can't stand the thought of taking all that time to put makeup on and then have to wash it all off later.
  • When I need to relax, I take a hot shower.
  • I love seeking a deeper relationship with my Lord and Savior. I am constantly amazed by His grace and unending love.
  • I'm not a great party planner. I guess my frugal side steps in and I try to cut corners. I'm working on it, though.
  • I hate talking on the phone.
  • I prefer to take a road trip than fly.
  • My favorite soda is Pepsi and I don't really have a favorite food.
  • Ways I handle stress: sleep, running or tensing up.
  • I miss running and I can't wait to get back into it when Ethan arrives.
  • I like to think I have all the answers, but I really don't.
  • I have no idea how to be a Mom. There's no manual. There's no guide. I just learn by love.
  • I fit back into my wedding dress just a few months after giving birth to Jimmy.
  • I can never decide if I like my hair dark (natural) or blonde. When I'm one, I want to be the other.
  • My favorite place to go on vacation is Disney. Still. I don't care what you say, there's something magical about that place and some of the best memories I have are while being there.
  • I don't wear jewelry except for my wedding ring, engagement ring and cross necklace from Tiffany's. The only other piece I would wear would be a diamond anniversary band that I have picked out. I'm just not into accessories.
  • I prefer shoes to purses.
  • My favorite colors are blue and pink.
  • I secretly want to have a baby girl - soon.
  • I look up to my husband for all that he's accomplished and am proud to be his wife.
  • I would do anything for my friends.
  • No one makes me laugh as hard as Little Jimmy. Playing peek-a-boo is my favorite thing to do right now because his belly laugh cracks me up.
  • I cry when Jimmy does things for the first time.
  • I'm a realist and an optimist. Can the two go hand in hand?
  • "Decision Points" was my favorite book in 2010. While I don't think Bush's writing was necessarily eloquent or better than anything I've read in the past, his sheer honesty was endearing and motivating.
  • My biggest pet peeve: when people misuse that and which.
  • I miss college, but just because I miss going to class and learning. Maybe one day I'll get my Masters.
  • My dream job: teaching.
I can't think of much else, but this is a good time capsule for me to have and look back on. Who knows, in 10 years I may be a millionaire and no longer frugal or I could hate vacations to Disney. This is a great way for me to remember who I was at this point in my life, on the brink of motherhood yet again but barely in my mid-20s.

1 comment:

  1. i love this idea. so important to focus on you! Your doing a great job and I can't believe your dad started Woodlands Online. I owe my last job to him! And you :)

    ReplyDelete