Monday, January 17, 2011

7 Years of Bliss

Deep breath in.

Deep breath out.

Ah. It's that time of night when the house is peaceful. My little boy is tucked in and sleeping soundly after a whirlwind weekend full of family-time and laughter. He grew this weekend and learned more new things than I care to admit, because let's face it, I really don't want him to grow up. The bottles are all washed, Jimmy's lunch is made, I've caught up on some work and now it's time to wind down.

Downstairs my husband is curled up on the couch watching television and checking a plethora of online media outlets on his iPad, mentally preparing himself for a week of talkative, rambunctious high schoolers. You would never know how hectic his weeks can be by the calm demeanor he brings home with him every day. He's unshaken and confident, and I derive much of my strength from him.

Today marks seven years we have been together. I'll never forget the night he asked me to be his girlfriend. We enjoyed Whataburger for dinner and then saw "Along Came Polly." We were sitting on his bed when he grabbed both my hands, his trembling just slightly, when he looked at me and asked me to be his girlfriend. The rest, as they say, is history.

Our story is quite unique though. We went through the final year of high school together, four (plus) years of college, internships, new jobs, new experiences, marriage, having a baby and home buying together. I have had the amazing opportunity to watch him flourish as an individual, allowing himself to blossom in college into the scholar high school never unveiled. His intellectual mind fascinates me and his love for life inspires me. I'm also madly in love with the little quirks about him - the way he bounces his leg when he's nervous, twirls his hair when he's deep in thought, and the deep snore he lets out when he's fallen asleep. He's such a remarkable man of God, which is something I absolutely adore about him. Rarely does he miss church and I can often find him reading through his Bible for encouragement and understanding. I also love how he constantly surprises me, being a better teacher, father and husband than I ever dreamed.

And I knew I would marry him the moment I met him. Despite the fact that he was not technically available when we met, there was something intrinsically different about him. I fell in love quick and wasn't ashamed of it. If my memory serves me right, we exchanged our first "I love you's" before we were even boyfriend and girlfriend.

Growing up, I hoped I would marry Prince Charming, or at least some sort of rendition of a prince that would tolerate my Type-A personality. Little did I know I would actually end up marrying a man who was in fact Prince Charming. (Fun fact: During our college internship at Disney, Jimmy was "friends with" Prince Charming and numerous other Disney princes.)

Thanks, Jimmy, for seven great years. Here's to many, many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment