Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

It's my first Mother's Day as a Mommy and it's wonderful. Although, I must admit, I don't really understand the holiday. I totally get that Moms everywhere deserve to be appreciated and loved and shown that love, but I would rather my husband and kids show me little bursts of appreciation all year round instead of pouring forced presents and attention on me because the calendar says they should.

Yesterday I survived a seven hour shopping day with the little one. Note, my Mom and Jake where with me to help, making the whole day much more smooth and relaxing. We went everywhere: Toys R Us, Target, the mall, Old Navy, Carters and finished it off with a pizza on the patio. It was perfect and just what I needed. As we walked around the mall I looked around at all the lost Dads with their kids in tow, frantically wondering what they should get their wives for Mother's Day. It was packed everywhere we went and people were not friendly at all. You would think that a giant stroller would tip people off that I have something very special and delicate inside, but they didn't care and I was forced to move my stroller numerous times to avoid being run over. That rush, that sheer look of fear in a husband's eyes as he paced up and down aisles, is not what I want Jimmy and my kids to do. Do the dishes one night without asking, clean your rooms without asking, give me a hug if I look down or stressed, and love me unconditionally every day. That's what I want.

Now that I'm a Mom I have a much better understanding of the daily sacrifice my Mom made for me and I will spend the rest of my life showing her how much she is appreciated, as opposed to just one day in May. Why? Because she really deserves it. When you go through nine months of pregnancy, hours of labor and then basically endure the equivalent to a violent UFC fight "down there," you deserve insane amounts of love and appreciation daily.

So, although I'm wishing all the Moms out there a Happy Mother's Day, I'm also wishing you a Happy Mother's Year, because that's what all Moms deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment