This past weekend, Jimmy went with some close friends to New Orleans for a bachelor party. I was all for him going because he really needed some time with his friends to blow off some steam and have a good time. He works from home, and now that we have a little one around, we spend most of our time at home, so the poor guy really deserved a weekend away with the guys. I was excited about spending the weekend with my son and not having to share him with anyone else.
Friday night was fabulous. We went to dinner with my mom, Jake and a dear friend, Susan, and her two little ones. It was a blast and certainly nice to have some grown up talk while just being inches away from Jimmy. After that, my mom and Jake accompanied me to Toys R Us to pick up some formula and we indulged in a little run to Sonic before she dropped me off at home. Jimmy was a joy the entire evening, only waking for his feeding. That's just the type of baby he is when we are out and about - completely content with everything around him and prepared to sleep through anything.
With Jimmy gone, we could spread ourselves out on the bed a bit more. Go ahead, all of you who don't agree with co-sleeping, and take a big gasp. But every parent does what is best for their child, and from the time we came home from the hospital, Jimmy only wanted to sleep in bed with us. Of course, we are safe about it and have one of those baby co-sleepers in the bed with us so he won't roll around and we can't roll onto him. With a big bed to ourselves, we were able to really stretch out. I knew it would be difficult to handle all feedings alone, but I was up to the task. Little did I know that Jimmy would have a very rough weekend. Sunday morning he had blood in his stools and I quickly picked up the phone and called Jimmy. We had an appointment with our pediatrician (yes, we switched and we are so happy we did) and found out he may have a small virus. Poor little guy is in so much pain when he digests and there's really nothing we can do for him except pour more and more love and comfort his way.
Over the weekend, Jimmy initiated me fully into the "Mommy Club." I say fully, because up to that point he had only managed to spit up on my shoulder and pee on me. But that wasn't enough for him. I was so exhausted from his sleepless nights (the first ever) that I didn't even realize he has spit up in my hair. When I went to run my fingers through my hair at one point in the day I was stopped by a huge clump of knotted hair. For some odd reason, my instinct was to smell it. Yup, there was no mistaking that smell. Old spit up.
I laughed it off and jumped in the shower, knowing that although my hair was mangled in spit up, at least his little tummy had been relieved at some point in the day. How sad that I couldn't even recall when he had spit up in my hair!! Later that day, his little tummy had a bit of an explosion while I changed his diaper. So, in a matter of 24 hours I had finished the final initiation rounds of the "Mommy Club" - spit up in my hair and pooped on. Add those in with the pee and I had all the bases covered.
The great thing about being a mom is I can laugh this off. I don't feel frazzled or stressed or get upset with the little things. Jimmy has taught me so much about patience and having a sense of humor. Sometimes, I feel like I'm doing everything wrong, but at other times, I feel like I can conquer the world. It is such a privilege to be able to mother this little child and watch him grow up.
No comments:
Post a Comment