I had an absolutely wonderful weekend, aside from being alone with just Brinkley. Jimmy finished the last leg of his "Farewell Tour," spending the weekend with another set of good friends in Austin. I was relieved he didn't have to drive over 6 hours like he did when he went to Norman and this time he even had a car companion, Ryan.
I spent Friday evening with Morgan, catching up on what's new in our lives. It was so refreshing to have a casual dinner with her at Jimmy John's as we both wore comfy clothes. She had just come from working out, but Morgan is the type of girl who could walk in a room drenched in sweat with mascara running down her face and she would still turn heads. So of course, she looked adorable in her workout outfit and I adorned one of Jimmy's sweatshirts and felt like such a slob. Oh well. Dinner hit the spot and the conversation was fabulous. It's truly refreshing to have such close friends and all be on a level where we don't have to be dressed up, hair done, makeup perfect and out on the town drinking to have a good time. I'll take a shot of honesty with a side of laughing until it hurts with a close friend over a martini any night.
My pregnancy hormones got the best of me when I arrived home to find Brinkley fast asleep and the house quiet. No Jimmy. I had promised myself I would only call if there was an emergency, but a bout of uncontrollable sobs hit hard and I had to call him for some comfort. Jimmy, always attentive and supportive, answered and soothed my lonely heart and assured he'd be back soon.
Saturday morning I played with Brinkley before hitting the big tasks of the day: steam cleaning the baby's room, grocery shopping and running errands. I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of energy I've had the past few days and I was able to accomplish everything on my list. I finally feel like the baby's room is complete and if he were to come now I wouldn't be worried about him arriving to a room that wasn't as clean as it could be. As for grocery shopping, that was a nightmare and I will never go again alone. At least never alone and pregnant. People don't seem to care if you have trouble maneuvering down tight aisles or can't fully bend down to grab something. If you're in their way, they will run you over. I was exhausted after, both physically and emotionally, and went home to find out I had to watch Jake for a little bit, postponing my rendezvous with Amy, Albert, Lindsay, Justin and Heather. Luckily, I was able to meet up with them after and see Lindsay and Justin's new home and spend time catching up with everyone. It was just what I needed! I love that all my friends are so happy in their lives right now and don't judge Jimmy and me for our new role as parents. It really touches my heart to have so many people care about us and stand beside us, just as we stand beside our friends as they embark on different journeys.
And then, the icing on the cake came at 7:45 a.m. on Sunday when Jimmy called and said he was at the front door. Home so early! I don't usually sleep well with him gone, so I was thrilled to have him slip into bed next to me and be able to finish off the remainder of the morning's sleep with him there. It actually turned into quite a long slumber, and we crawled out of bed only to go to church and make lunch. Almost a full day in bed talking with my husband topped off a wonderful weekend and I'm glad that I don't have to spend any more weekends for quite some time alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment