When she turned one last week, we decided it was time to really start working with her on her "big girl" skills, such as sleeping outside her kennel and being left in the house alone, again outside her kennel. With the baby just a few short weeks away, we also wanted to focus some major attention on her and making her feel special, because, let's face it, when the baby comes she will definitely lose the spotlight. Last night, I had a good feeling about letting her try her first night at sleeping outside her kennel. Jimmy and I got comfy in bed and popped in a movie, allowing Brinkley some time to roam the house and find a place where she would be comfortable for the night. Well, what do you know, that pup went straight into her kennel and fell asleep on her bed! We were so shocked that she voluntarily went in there to sleep, we didn't bother her with praise. Instead, we let her drift into her deep sleep. I knew we were in business when she began her epic snores, the kind that are so loud they wake me from my deepest slumbers. After the movie, I proceeded with my nighttime routine and she didn't move a muscle.
I must admit, I was worried she would find the door to her kennel open during one of my many late night trips to the bathroom, seeing as she finds that is the perfect time to barge in on me. Literally, every time I use the restroom she will bang her head as hard as possible into the door to get it to open so she can come in and keep me company. The doors in our house don't close as easy as I'm used to, and I'm notorious for not remembering to fully close them (however, I'm extra careful when company is over, but if it's just Jimmy and me, I'm not as concerned every single time about getting it fully shut). I think it's God's sense of humor at work when she does this, seeing as in just a year or so Brinkley will probably have a little partner in crime to open the door for her when I do manage to fully close it. I guess I should relish the moments of solitude now when the door completely closes behind me and I can use the restroom in peace.
After at least four nighttime runs to the restroom, I was pleasantly surprised to find Brinkley still sound asleep. It wasn't until the alarm sounded this morning that she realized her freedom and seized the opportunity to be the first to offer morning kisses. Jimmy and I were both bombarded with love from Brinkley as she stormed out of her kennel and straight to the bed. It was such a wonderful accomplishment for her to sleep in her kennel all night with no door to close her in that I couldn't help but find myself overwhelmed with pride.
"You know how I know we are going to be great parents?" I rolled over and asked Jimmy, who was still groggy from the abrupt morning Brinkley kisses. "Because we raised a dog to sleep in her kennel without being told, and on top of that, she stayed there all night."
Jimmy laughed and kissed my cheek, obliging me in my temporary moment of triumph. Deep down, I know that raising a dog and raising a child are on two completely different ends of the spectrum, but it was nice to know there was one end of the spectrum I was finally getting down.
No comments:
Post a Comment