Friday, January 15, 2010

Looking to the future



Besides preparing for our first child, things have been pretty hectic for Jimmy and me. We both work for a small media company, but Jimmy has known since the beginning that this would only be a temporary job and he would eventually move on. Recently, he became aware of a position (I won't give too many details, seeing as it is still on the down low on all ends) that would be a perfect fit for him. The only problem is, the position is SO new that the employer still doesn't have all the details worked out. As much as they seem to want him to come on board, there are a few logistics on both ends that have to be finalized. It's definitely causing us some stress and we are in constant prayer that God will take full control of the entire situation. Looking for a job is always a stressful situation and adding a growing family to our mix only adds to it. We are incredibly confident, however, that the Lord will not steer us wrong and we are turning it entirely over to Him.

I don't think I've mentioned what Brinkley has been up to yet. Well, she's still as curious as ever, and we are really working with her on obeying commands. For some reason, she listens better to me when it comes to feeding (we want her to learn to sit and wait for her food, instead of chowing down while we are still scooping) but does basic tricks much better for Jimmy. She also has what we call a "paws complex." Brinkley is convinced that she is a human, therefore, her paws are like hands and we need to hold them, pet them, and be okay with the fact that she puts them on EVERYTHING. I can't sit on the couch without two puppy paws coming and landing right on my thighs. It's a little slow-going teaching her that she shouldn't "paw" everyone and everything, and we are hoping she grasps the concept before the baby arrives. We can only imagine the scrapes and fear that little Jimmy will experience if Brinkley (who always means well) doesn't learn to keep her paws to herself. But, she's still cute as ever, and in another act to be more human and less dog, she has adopted sleeping on a pillow. She has a big dog bed in our room, but now has a pillow to rest her head - and she does. This is no freak accident, either. She will strategically place the pillow in the best spot for her and then fall into doggie dreams with her head on an extremely plush down pillow. Talk about spoiled. This morning, I woke up to find the poor thing had missed her pillow and was instead with her face smashed up against the wire gate that surrounds her bedtime spot, just inches away from hitting the desired target of her pillow. I wanted to get a quick photo of this before she woke up, but I burst into laughter reaching for the camera and woke her. Too cute!

In the world of pregnancy, today I had some major Braxton Hicks contractions. For about 2 and a half hours I was experiencing some of the most uncomfortable feelings I have ever had. I honestly thought I might be going into labor, but they were so sporadic and didn't increase in intensity at all so Jimmy said it would be best to get as comfortable as possible and wait it out. I kept thinking to myself, "Yeah, easy for you to say. Your uterus isn't contracting and making your stomach hard as a rock." To top off the lovely contractions, the baby had the worst case of the hiccups to date. We laughed as my belly went up and down, up and down, up and down. Eventually, the contractions stopped and I was able to feel human again. And again, as much as I hate to admit it, my husband came through. (Note: In posting 1, I mention how he has yet to read any baby books.)

While relaxing on the bed waiting out the contractions, Jimmy looked down at the little space between us and said, "I can't wait to have him right here between us." Me either, love.

So it seems like life is a little crazy right now. I'm still working full-time but look forward to the middle of February when I get transferred to work from home until the baby is born. Things are picking up for Jimmy as well with work, and the days are just flying by. We know we are incredibly blessed to both have jobs that are so supportive of our situation and for Jimmy to even have opportunities in the near future to pursue his dream. Life may be stressful at times, but it is definitely good.

No comments:

Post a Comment