Mommy brain exists.
Mommy brain, as defined by me, is when you slowly forget everyday things, lose a little bit of common sense, and can't find the right words in conversations after welcoming a new child to your family. It happens to every woman, and with the addition of each child to your family, Mommy brain becomes more and more apparent.
The other day, I was struck by a horrible bout of Mommy-brain.
I went to Old Navy for a very specific purchase. Rarely do I have enough time in a workday to just leisurely shop for clothes, but when I found a gap of time where a quick outing would fit, I took advantage of it. I wanted to buy an Astro's shirt for little Jimmy to wear to his first Astro's game, and Old Navy not only had one at a great price, but they also had one that was cute and very soft. When I walked into the store, I was swallowed by a mass of bright colored summer clothes. I told myself not to get distracted and I walked to the back of the store to the little boys section. I had a bit of trouble finding the shirt and the boys got a little restless so I decided to take a lap around the store before trying one last time to find the shirt for Jimmy.
That's when I hit some trouble. Before I knew it, I had clothes for MYSELF piled onto the stroller. I was giddy. Pinks, turquoises, yellows and greens. They were soon to be all mine.
Satisfied with my finds, I headed back to the toddler section and wa-la! I found the shirt I originally came for. Of course, I couldn't leave without something for Jackson, so I found him an adorable shirt and pair of shorts and decided to call it a day.
I drove home, got the boys down for their naps, and pulled the giant shopping bag from the car. I tried the first shirt on.
And then it hit me.
I'm pregnant.
How in the world I shopped for a new summer wardrobe without remembering I was pregnant is beyond me, but I'm going to go ahead and throw this one in the Mommy brain category. As I tried on shirt after shirt, I realized not one would work for summer. My already thicker mid-secton made some uncomfortable, some bunch weird and some just plain not fit. Wonderful.
Needless to say, I returned my items to Old Navy, and hopefully I won't be making that mistake any time soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment