Perhaps it's because I think I'm saying the same things over, and over, and over, and over to Jimmy.
"Don't run with food in your mouth!"
"No standing at the table."
"Use your manners."
"No throwing toys."
"Please wipe that frown off your face. I want to see a smile!"
Day in and day out, the above phrases are only a portion of the instructions I'm dishing out. And, of course, as every mom knows, you usually have to ask the said command in a variety of ways to really get the point across, followed by explaining why the behavior/action isn't appropriate. If that doesn't do the trick, time out ensues. Luckily, little Jimmy is terrified of missing out on something fun if he has to sit in time out, so he usually listens the first or second time.
But then, there are those rare moments when it all clicks. They get it. And you didn't even have to tell them.
Yesterday, I sneezed.
"Bwess you," Jimmy said from across the room.
I had to do a double take.
He was still playing with his toys but I knew I had not imagined those sweet, polite words coming from his mouth.
"Thank you," I said, still a little taken aback by his big boy tone.
Later that night, he was in the kitchen when he began to sneeze. I ran (ok, ok, I hobbled) around the island in our kitchen to remind him to cover his nose and mouth when sneezing, but when I saw him, he was already doing it. I stood, shocked.
When the initial shock wore off, I praised him so much I think it scared him. But when he realized he did something right without being told, he got really excited.
The kicker of the night was when we pulled up to the Starbucks drive thru window. Jimmy looked out his window at the young barista handing us our speciality drinks and he said, in his cutest voice, "Hi! Bye bye!"
Three times. Three times my little boy showed me that the things I'm constantly reiterating throughout the day are sinking in. He understands things better and is earnestly trying to be as polite as possible.
When I put him to bed I was still praising him for all his accomplishments that day. He leaned over the crib and reached his arms out for a hug. Just as I was going in for my hug and kiss, he sneezed - right in my face.
I guess we're still a work in progress, but I'll definitely take those three victories. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment