Thursday, November 10, 2011

Retraction

I love, love, love country music. Naturally, I was really excited to watch the CMAs last night.

And I think it's only fair I publicly retract any statements I may have uttered about Taylor Swift in the past. Yes, I have always found her music incredibly catchy and find myself singing along - quite loudly - in the car. However, I have, on quite a few occasions, said she doesn't sound as good live and that her songs are a bit childish.

But last night when she performed something struck me.

If I had a tween daughter, would I want her upstairs blaring songs about sex and drugs, or songs about first love and being fearless?

Instantly, I felt bad for ever having muttered a negative word about Taylor Swift. She doesn't dress racy, her lyrics are positive and clean, and she isn't splashed across tabloids due to poor choices.

She's just a young girl herself. Perhaps not as innocent as she was at the time her first album came out, because the big push into a world of glitz, glamor and fame has to have had an effect on her, but as far as I can see, she's handled it with grace.

Taylor, I'm very sorry for anything I've ever said in the past. Thank you for keeping true to yourself and knowing your demographic looks up to every single thing you do. By making good decisions, you're showing today's youth that they don't have to be partying, drinking and having sex to feel good about themselves. Keep up the good work, and I promise people will keep blaring your songs in the car - whether they'll admit to it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment