Saturday we decided to tag along with my mom and Jake for a quick overnight stay in Clear Lake. It was a risky decision, seeing as I have two kids who are both teething, love naps and have never stayed in a one room hotel. It would be a challenge, but I was up to it.
The boys, as usual, did wonderful. When we arrived in Clear Lake we swam for a bit and then freshened up and headed out for dinner. Right as we pulled into the parking lot to eat, both boys drifted into a deep sleep, having had missed their regular mid-afternoon naps. I was hesitant to stir them, but I had no choice. Jackson awoke for only a second while we got his car seat out of the car and Jimmy perked up at the idea of eating dinner. Jimmy, my food connoisseur, dined on bits of my grilled chicken, loads of veggies, a good portion of my mom's filet mignon and even enjoyed some of Jake's chicken fried steak. With a full belly and a new burst of energy, we headed to the Kemah Boardwalk.
It was full of so many sights and sounds the boys had yet to experience. They were a bit overwhelmed by the sound of roller coasters speeding by, but loved listening to the live music and watching the beautiful neon lights that filled the night sky. As the hours rolled on, their eyes grew heavy but they never fussed. Jimmy even got a treat - Dippin' Dots!
(Big) Jimmy and I rode the Boardwalk Bullet, a high intensity wooden roller coaster. I love roller coasters but realized I had not ridden one since long before giving birth to little Jimmy. My nerves were creeping up on me, but by the end of the ride I was laughing and thanking Jimmy for getting me to go. It was fun to be a kid again.
We didn't get back to the hotel until midnight and by this point I was just waiting for the meltdown. But it never came. Both boys took their bedtime bottle or sippy cup and fell into a deep sleep. We woke up and had breakfast before heading down to the pool again. Jackson fell asleep in my lap as we sat under an umbrella. Little Jimmy enjoyed some quality swim time with my mom (Nana) and Jake. Jimmy left to meet his family in Kingsville for the funeral services as we headed to the room to get ready for check out.
We decided to head to the mall for a little bit and wound up staying until 3 p.m. The boys STILL hadn't napped but they were such troopers. The moment we got in the car and pulled out the parking lot, they were both conked out and stayed that way until we pulled into our neighborhood.
God never ceases to amaze me when it comes to my children. Just when I think they will meltdown (as they should - they are just little babies still! And so tired!), they end up surprising us all. Now that we're home, the boys are clean, fed and napping. The house is quiet and Brinkley is snoring in the dining room, happy to be in the air conditioning once again. I have given thanks so many times in the past few days for all of God's blessings.
Although we may be home, our hearts are with our daddy and his family as they say goodbye to a close friend, knowing one day they will see him again in Heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment