Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Choice

I just got done reading an article on Yahoo about how we have entered a no-baby boom. While reading the article, I was disgusted at the one-sidedness (although it is very common for Yahoo to do). Including financial obligations, the article talks about how those with kids are more likely to divorce, have less free time, go on less vacations and have less disposable income. Oh, and how they contribute to overpopulation.

*Sigh*

Then, I browsed the comments, hoping, desperately hoping, that proud parents would speak up. Kids are a blessing! A gift of God! A joy! And for those who don't want children for personal reasons, then that is their decision and they are not to be mocked. A marriage is a bond between a man, a woman, and God. God should direct the path of a marriage, and if children are not in His plan, than so be it, there is no shame in that.

But the people commenting on this article did not always mention personal choice or self-sacrificing for a marriage. Do they, then, put themselves second to Christ? Whether single or married or married with children, we must always put ourselves second to Him! Only then can we live out our lives according to His will.

My heart ached as I read page after page of judgmental, hurtful comments towards parents. Some were called irresponsible. Some parents even chimed in that their child "ruined" their life. Tears welled in my eyes and I couldn't read on.

My kids are no financial burden to me. They are no swallowers of resources or drain on our economy. They are not the next generation of "idiots" or "mindless followers."

They are beautiful, exquisite, unique beings made in the image of Christ. They bask in His grace and will be raised in a household with a foundation built by God alone. Some may see them as burdens or "life ruiners," but I do not. I do not serve money or wealth or desire things that are not holy. I serve a loving, generous God who has blessed, not cursed, me with two new lives.

And for those who cannot conceive or choose not to, God has elaborate plans for them as well! Their lives are not "ruined" due to a lack of children. Every person is different. Every marriage will lead down a different path. I am fearful for the harsh judgment that has befallen many today and can only pray that children will be seen in their purest, gentlest form - like they are seen through the eyes of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment