Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Stigmas

While getting ready the other day, I realized I probably come attached with numerous stigmas. Instead of getting angry that people perceive me one way (negatively), I thought I would write about it and laugh how some things never change. Some people never change. I can become incredibly successful, according to society's standards, and still people would find something wrong with me.

Mother - Now that I'm a mom at the age of 24, I'm seen as "boring." Partying is out the door. Late nights out with friends. Gone. Career? Kaput. My mom had me when she was 22 and most of my friend's parents had them at young ages as well. But guess what? I never really partied. I still go out with my girlfriends all the time. I'm probably more active now that I have a baby than before I did. And being a mom doesn't make me any less of a person, if anything, it makes me a better person every day.

Works from home - Ah, this is the one that I really despise. When I tell people I work from home they usually mutter a polite, "Oh," and drop the subject of work. Guess what? I am the Marketing and Communications Director for a rapidly growing Texas media company. In the average 8 hour work day, I've contacted clients, written sales renewals, managed content on at least three websites, designed marketing collateral for the sales staff, managed the workload of interns and other staff, and worked on executive summaries and proposals. And that's NORMAL. So, shrug off the fact that I work from home so I can properly raise my son and I'll gladly challenge the fact that I don't work as hard as someone who heads in to the office.

Sooner - When I accepted my offer to attend The University of Oklahoma, I knew I would forever face insults or questions from those who stayed in-state. I really don't even need to defend myself here, because I chose the education that was best fit for me. And I don't regret a darn thing.

Woman - The moment I was born I was already facing adversity just with my gender alone. I always have to work just a little harder to be taken seriously, despite the great strides women have taken to overcome this kind of negative perception.

There, off my chest. Hopefully, I speak for all the women out there who share some of these stigmas and are often looked down upon because of them. I love every single thing that makes me who I am, and I don't plan on changing .

No comments:

Post a Comment