Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Best Friend

Life has been a little crazy lately, and I am very sorry I haven't kept up with the blog. I will, however, try to get better.

I thought I would write about my husband tonight and our growing relationship now that we have a little one. Before we had the baby (I try to refer to him as the baby or baby Jimmy because of the confusion having two Jimmy's can cause), we heard it from just about everyone that our relationship wouldn't be the same. With a baby around, how would we ever find time to just talk, be silly, and well...do anything other than sleep. I must admit, this was one of my biggest worries about having a baby, seeing as the previous six years had been just the two of us. We did everything together, and we were rarely apart. Crying in the car before heading into the hospital and worrying about how our relationship would change will forever be burned into my memory.

But, here we are, almost two months into it, and I can't help but laugh at how worried I was. Yes, our relationship has changed. But it has changed for the better. Some nights we crawl into bed and talk about what the future may bring or how goofy we were in the start of our relationship. Our conversations aren't always flooded with talk about the baby, despite him being the center of our lives. One thing we do best is find time to be silly, as displayed by the music video we made of our son, completely helpless, dancing to a tween pop song.

We still have deep conversations, watch movies, play with Brinkley in the backyard and have the occasional argument. (I'm back in the game in the argument realm now that my temporary memory loss due to pregnancy is gone.)

Things are different, but in a very good, healthy way. We love to talk about our son and what we think he will sound like when he first talks or how his smile melts our hearts. But God helped us lay such a strong foundation before our marriage and son that we are able to successfully continue to nurture and care for our relationship. It's definitely work at times to fight through the heavy eyelids and yawns, but it's always worth it.

Six years ago he was my best friend, and six years later he still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment