Monday, March 15, 2010

Pediatrician Visit #2

My, oh my, how the past week has flown by! I can't believe Jimmy is already 11 days old and we found ourselves back in the pediatrician's office so soon. No worries, it was a routine visit to check his weight and to make sure the jaundice we had been fighting for the past week was indeed gone. Last Monday, I had to subject this innocent little life to some of the most grueling heel pricking I've ever witnessed. We did that for three days, mixed in with some of God's glorious sunshine, and the jaundice went away. However, I still wasn't in the clear to go back to breastfeeding, a notion I wasn't too keen about.

But today was a day to celebrate! Despite being so early, Jimmy has already regained his birth weight and we are looking at a very rested future. The doctor wants him to gain 3 pounds and we can begin letting him sleep through the night! 3 pounds seems like a lot, but at the rate this kid is going, it looks to be about 3-4 weeks away. Although, I must admit, I've grown extremely fond of these late night feedings where I spend about a half hour in quiet time with my son. He's been such a little darling when he's not feeding, allowing us to nap and get good chunks of sleep in between his feedings, so I'm not entirely knock-me-off-my-feet exhausted. It's almost been two weeks and I feel much more comfortable with our routine and I'm learning his cries better, which makes for a happier Fraser family. I wouldn't doubt if I wake up those first few nights he's sleeping 4-5 hours straight and just watch him in peace. He's growing so fast!

Jimmy went back to work today, which I'm sure is hard on him. He does get to retreat to his creative world of video production, but I know he would rather spend every moment possible watching our son grow. It's hard to think that just 2 weeks ago he was still nestled warm in my belly, and now, he's here with us, growing like a weed.

And he's also developed a new little noise that makes me laugh hysterically. When he's really frustrated or hungry, he snorts. Loud. These aren't adorable little baby snorts, these are full on snorts to alert Mommy and Daddy, "Hey! Get with the picture!" He's also smiling a lot more in his sleep, and I can only imagine his dreams are filled with images of feeding.

He's growing so fast, and I really hope that time will slow down to allow me to capture these memories more vividly.

No comments:

Post a Comment