Sunday, March 21, 2010

Lesson Learned

It is so nice to be settling into a routine around our house. I even mustered up the energy to cook dinner for the first time in almost 3 weeks tonight. It was nothing big, but it felt good to be back in the kitchen providing a hearty meal for the family.

Jimmy is growing like a weed. Every time I look at him I swear he's bigger than the last time I looked. I really, REALLY want time to slow down, especially now that I'm spending so much time sleeping to avoid exhaustion. It seems like the hours when I'm awake just fly by.

And just when I think I'm getting things under full control, my two kids (yes, Brinkley is one of my children) teach me valuable lessons.

Let's start with Brinkley. We have been debating for quite some time whether we should get another puppy so Brinkley wouldn't feel alone with the new addition to the family taking up so much of our time and energy. Our neighbors have two dogs, one of which is a Great Dane, and Brinkley loves to run along the fence with them. I guess Brinkley and Zeke (the GIANT Great Dane) decided a play date was in order, because the two of them have started to dig enormous holes in different locations along the fence. No matter how we try to cover them, those two mischievous pups are bound and determined to get to each other. We thought we were being good parents by letting Brinkley play outside all day, but instead, we learned a lesson that leaving her outside unattended for that long results in giant holes. Jimmy gave in and put Brinkley over the fence, allowing the dogs to run out all of their energy and have their long awaited day of fun. I think our questions about whether or not Brinkley needs a companion have been answered.

And then there's baby Jimmy. I've been really attentive to him, changing diapers quickly, making sure he's clean, fed, rested and happy. But there was one feeding when I got a little lazy. Since he rarely spits up during his burp time, I opted during a 5 a.m. feeding to skip the burp cloth and just put him in my lap - while I was tucked in bed. Of course, this was one time when he decides to spit up and it just so happened to land all over our comforter. I'm a little ashamed to say I was so exhausted from the early morning feeding that I waited until morning to wash the comforter.

So, I guess my kids want me to know that I should always be on my toes because just a moment of laziness will cost me. There's nothing quite like being a mom. :)

1 comment: