Lately, I've had some huge cases of the giggles. I blame it mostly on my husband, because lately everything he does seems to cause me to laugh uncontrollably. A part of me honestly thinks he's doing it on purpose because he thinks all the laughter will cause the baby to come a little earlier. :)
When we sit down to a dinner at home we always make sure to pray. We also alternate nights, so we can both hear what the other wants to thank our Lord for, pray for and it gives a great feeling of what is weighing on our hearts. Our prayers tend to run a little long, as we make sure to thank God for every person in our lives. (Sometimes individually, sometimes as a whole). I remember back to when Jacob used to pray at dinner and before bed. He kept it short and simple: "Dear God, Thank you for everybody. Amen."
The other night, after already having a case of the giggles while preparing dinner with Jimmy, he decided to throw in something to his prayer that he hadn't mentioned ever in prayer before. After thanking God for everything and asking that we be ever reminded of the needs of others he casually added, "Oh, and end poverty." Just like that. And the way he said it....oh how I wish I could reenact it vividly for you with words. My mind instantly shot to the movie Miss Congeniality when all the beauty contestants just want world peace. In a fashion fitting to that night, I started laughing hysterically, all the while reassuring Jimmy I was not laughing at his actual prayer, just at what it reminded me of.
A few minutes later, I looked up from dinner and asked him if he thought God would be mad that I had laughed like that during a prayer. He reassured me, in my ever-paranoid-almost-a-mom state, that God has a sense of humor and doesn't get mad about things like that. Feeling guilty, I of course asked God to forgive me for laughing during prayer and let Him know I fully understood nothing was funny about poverty. On the same token, I thanked him for the laughter that filled my heart that evening and brought me so much joy.
I can't wait for the coming years when our little one sits at the table and joins in the family prayer before dinner and bed. I'm sure things will come from his innocent mouth that will cause me to giggle to myself with joy. I feel truly blessed to be able to raise a child with a husband who loves our Savior so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment