Monday, January 2, 2012

Welcome, 2012

I don't think I've ever been happier to see a year go. I welcomed 2012 with open arms.

2011 was rough. It started out with lots of preterm labor problems with Jackson and was a bumpy ride until the end. Jackson's birth and the transformation of our family into a party of four was definitely the highlight of the year, while the family struggles with my brother were the low point.

Although 2011 was a rough year, I sure did learn a lot. God used every situation to teach me something, and I spent every possible moment letting my heart be still to rely on His perfect guidance.

But here we are now, sitting comfortably in 2012. We welcomed in the New Year sitting around a fire pit with friends, while the boys slept peacefully upstairs. I took in a deep breath of fresh air at 11:59 p.m. and as I exhaled at 12:00 a.m. I released all the struggles of 2011. We spent all of January 1 in our pajamas, watching movies and playing. The kids even took part in the laziness, starting the day by crawling into bed with us and watching "The Lion King." We all napped together and refused to let cell phones or work emails bother us. It was a day of rebooting and rejuvenation, and quite frankly, exactly what we all needed.

I usually don't make New Year's resolutions, but in light of the past year, I've decided my resolution will be to focus on one word - joy. I want to spread it, relish in it, enjoy it, create it, share it, bask in it, grow it and learn all I can about it. It's not about how much weight I can lose, or how to better tone and tighten my body for bikini season (I'm a mom now, and when I'm at the beach I'm looking to avoid sand eating catastrophes, not pretend I'm a Victoria's Secret model on the prowl.) This year, it's all about joy.

May God bless you and yours this new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment