Tonight was a wonderful night. I was able to travel back in time to celebrate a time in high school that came with plenty of highs, and of course its lows, as I gathered with a group of women to celebrate 35 years of the drill team we were part of. It is such a unique opportunity to pick up where we left off and see where people have gone in the course of their lives.
I had a blast catching up with everyone and sharing the stories of our lives. While answering questions, I became very aware that many of the questions are frequently asked - year round. For that reason, I want to answer a few questions about my family and me in this post.
How did you break your foot?
Running up the stairs. To get diapers. Nothing glamorous or funny, just painful and embarrassing. I'm finally on the mend, though!
What do you do?
I am now the chief executive officer of a media company, Digital Texas. I take great pride in what I do and I work with a wonderful, innovative team.
What is Digital Texas?
Digital Texas is a media company seeking to serve underserved communities across the state through hyper-local websites. Each website has comprehensive online business directories, local news, events, classifieds, jobs and much more.
What sparked your love for Disney?
I think this is one of the most misunderstood things about me. I love Disney, but it isn't necessarily the movies that I'm intrigued by. I'm intrigued by the company itself and what it stands for. I've read countless biographies on Walt Disney and how his passion was challenged day-in-and-day-out but he never gave up hope. And in the end, he created not only movies that resonate throughout the ages, but two special parks that can take anyone, any age, back to a time of childish whims and innocence. It's the concept of dreams that I love.
Do you want more kids?
You bet! I can't wait to grow our family, if that is in God's plan for us.
Another boy? Or a girl?
Honestly, whatever God blesses us with. I sit in awe of my kids every day and the way their little minds work and I would be happy to welcome either into our home.
Are you tired all the time with two toddlers?
I'm not any more tired than someone without kids. Having kids is all about creating a new lifestyle that works for everyone, not one where you necessarily give up everything that you love. (And sleep is definitely something I love!) I still go out with friends, have dates with my husband, take hot baths, go on vacation and have hobbies. Having kids makes my life better and more full, not the opposite.
How do you discipline the boys?
I'm a huge advocate of time out. Using the word "no" often backfires when little Jimmy turns to me and tells me no. So, I put him in time out, set the timer on the microwave (so he can hear when time out is over) and hold my ground. If I say time out will be two minutes, I make sure he is in time out for those two minutes. We have a pretty good understanding of each other now and he doesn't push buttons or throw tantrums as much as he used to.
How many naps do your kids take?
Two a day. Each nap is about 2-3 hours.
How did you and Jimmy meet?
We were seniors in high school when we met. It was a junior varsity football game and surprise, surprise, my right leg was in a boot for an ankle injury. I was at the game with a mutual friend who introduced me to Jimmy. Jimmy immediately started poking fun at me (a common practice by my close guy friends). We instantly became good friends and that eventually blossomed into what we are today. We fell in love quick and knew it was the real deal before graduation. Many doubted, but our love prevailed!
Describe your kids.
As little Jimmy gets older, I see a lot of me in him. He's a leader but a fierce lover. He's got a bit of an attitude and doesn't take no for an answer. He's extremely smart and loves to read books. He gets discouraged if he can't figure out how to do something, but when he figures it out he radiates a sense of pride and accomplishment. Jackson is a lot like Jimmy. He's quiet and always smiling. There's really not much that rattles him, and because of that, he only cries when he's hungry. He tries to do everything his big brother does. He's quite the squirmer and if you try to change his diaper you better have a good toy on hand to get his attention with. Jackson loves everyone and gives the best slobbery kisses.
Did you see your life turning out like this?
Not a bit. I didn't think I would get married until well into my 20s. I saw myself living in a big city, like New York City, filled with lots of traveling and working. I didn't know how many kids I would have or when I would have them. My life turned out completely different than I thought it would, but I wouldn't change a single thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment