Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Brotherly Love

"Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves." Romans 12:10

I am blessed to have two boys who love each other so much. It's heartwarming to watch Jackson turn his head in the direction of Jimmy's voice and Jimmy cannot start his day without first giving Jackson a kiss on the head. Jimmy loves to watch him sleep and tries endlessly to comfort his brother when he cries. Although the relationship is still new and blossoming, I'm excited to watch it grow and see their bond strengthen.

I was feeding Jackson in the still of the night when I became overwhelmed with love. I have two amazing, beautiful boys! I looked around at our house and felt comfort in its walls. The air conditioning kicked on and I was immediately thankful for its cool breeze. My eyes darted all around and I continued to thank God for His gifts - our dog, Brinkley, the full pantry, toys for the boys to play with...the list goes on and on.

And then I looked down at Jackson and began thinking of a word that describes each of my boys. I thought I would share my thoughts.

Strength - This is for Jackson. We endured so much together in the 8 months I was pregnant with him. Those last 8 weeks tested us in so many ways and I have such a close bond with him because of all our trials. To think I walked around for 2 weeks dilated at 5 centimeters with a cervix 95% effaced still boggles my mind! Jackson was determined to stay put until the 36 week mark and had the nurses listened to me Friday night, he would have avoided NICU. But even in NICU he showed his strength. He went from having tubes in his mouth and nose to being able to breathe and feed without any assistance 24 hours later. He fought all the odds and his jaundice levels lowered so rapidly the nurses were shocked. I wasn't. Before Jackson made his big debut I knew he was a fighter, and he always will be.

Joy - This is Jimmy. He not only is joyous every day, but he brings joy to so many people. His smile is contagious. It is very rare for Jimmy to not be smiling, laughing, or trying to get those he's surrounded by to do the same. It was a given that he would bring joy to Jimmy, our families and me, but I was not prepared for the type of reaction we would get from complete strangers. He isn't shy; when we're out and about he makes sure to smile and say hi to every person who passes by. I've been stopped so many times and told by people that he made their day. The light of God shines through him in so many ways!

I give thanks every single day for the qualities these little boys bring into this house. They have taught me patience, understanding, selflessness, JOY and STRENGTH. As the Mommy, I always thought I would be the one imparting knowledge, but I had no idea I would learn so much from such little boys - and to think they are only 5 weeks and 13 months!

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." Psalm 28:7

No comments:

Post a Comment