Friday, February 18, 2011

The Human Pin Cushion and The Walker

Life has been crazy in the past week, much more so than it has been the past month. No need to go into details, just know my blog has been the absolute last thing on my mind. But now, I'm feeling a little sense of "free time" and need the joy of writing to inject some comfort into my ever-hectic life.

First, let's start with catching you up on the cutest little boy in the world. Jimmy is walking like a maniac and he's in to just about everything! It makes for very interesting days chasing him about the house, pulling him off the stairs, and watching him try to be a super sleuth and get into things he knows he shouldn't. His new favorite word is "hot," something he was taught in order to stay away from the oven. Now, he says everything and anything is hot. Since it seems to work keeping him away from the dishwasher and oven, we use hot as a term to let him know when he shouldn't be touching things, like outlets. So, he's turned the tables and now grabs our hands and tells us hot if he doesn't want us touching his things. The little booger is just too smart.

In just a few weeks we will celebrate his first birthday and I'm so excited! I have no idea where we will be pregnancy-wise at that point, but I do know I will do whatever it takes to make that the best day possible for the little man. Originally, I was going to throw a birthday party the day after his birthday, but all plans have been suspended until Jackson arrives. I'll tough the party planning with a newborn, because, let's face it, you only turn 1 once. :)

As for me, I'm officially a human pin cushion. I have 8 welts on my rear to show the different injections of steroids and progesterone, and I now have a new accessory: the terbutaline pump. This is a small pump that continuously gives me medicine to stop contractions. News flash: we've upped my dose three times now and it still doesn't work. I'm not losing hope, though, because every day I keep Jackson in means a better shot at him spending less time in the NICU. The thing I hate about the pump, besides the fact that I have a tube hanging off me at all times, is the fact that I have to inject the needle into my upper thigh and change the spot every 3-4 days. I'm not a doctor or nurse for a reason, and this is exactly why. I don't mind other people doing it to me, but I hate doing it myself. Plus, it hurts. My first "site" became infected and my upper thighs aren't really excited about having numerous little holes in them in the coming weeks. So far, I have two, and add that with the 8 on my rear, and I have a total of 10.

Dr. Rawson also informed me I'm now dilated to 2 cm and effaced at 50%. Not great news considering I went from barely a 1 and 0% effacement last week to those high numbers. The contractions are steady, sometimes they wake me up, and my phone rings off the hook from doctors and nurses checking my vitals, med levels, symptoms, etc. How do they expect me to rest when they won't leave me alone?! I'm in desperate need of a vacation.

God is testing our family in a big way right now, but I'm just glad He's decided to keep Jackson safe and sound in my belly for a bit longer. I feel my body preparing for the active labor, but every day I can make it is a victory.

Thank you again and again for all those out there who have made us dinners, helped with Jimmy or even just offered a prayer. It all helps in ways you can't even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment